Arpino and the Medieval hill top towns of Ciociaria: A world to discover!
This tour will bring you in one of the few undiscovered area of central Italy with stunning landscapes and mighty views!
We will drive south east of Rome to Cicero’s childhood home, Arpino – now a handsome medieval town pitched on a ridge in the landscape. As in so many once-Roman settlements, Arpino’s modern central piazza occupies the original space of the town’s ancient forum, and the biggest church sits where the main pagan temple used to. An excavated stretch of large Roman cobblestones running alongside the piazza drives the point home. I admire the doughty, fruit-coloured buildings climbing up from the piazza, and drive up to the ancient apex of the town – the acropolis. Taking the form of a grassy hilltop meadow strewn with crumbling bits of fortification, Arpino’s acropolis reveals there was life here long before the Romans. Cyclopean walls and an unusual Mycenaean-style pointed-arch gateway attest to settlers centuries before Roman civilization began. From this historic vantage point, the view is breathtaking – little Arpino unfurling its maze of terra cotta rooftops on the olive-skirted ridge below, and all of Ciociaria’s wild green landscape spreading beyond it.
- visit the medieval hilltop Arpino.
- easy train ride from Roma Termini, pick up at the train station by your local guide and ride in a comfortable mercedes van.
- lunch in typical trattorias off the beaten paths tasting authentic food that only locals know
- enjoy beautiful views, amazing countryside and fairy landscapes
- tailor-made itinerary to suit your requests and interests
Book your viaromatour today, personal tour by an insider with local knowledge and expertise!
Contact us for customized itinerary and quote: email@example.com